District of Innovation & Local Control
The Eanes ISD Board of Trustees approved the Plan for Innovation & Local Control at the December 13, 2016 meeting. The plan will now move forward to the Texas Education Agency for formal recognition.
Eanes ISD pursued the designation due to the following benefits:
- Flexibility: Districts will have the flexibility to implement practices similar to charter schools, including exemptions from certain mandates including the uniform school start date and required minutes of instruction.
- Local control: Districts decide which flexibilities best suit their local needs.
- Autonomy: Districts must submit a district of innovation plan to the commissioner of education, but approval is not required.
After numerous discussions, the DOI committee identified the following exemptions on which to focus:
- maintain reasonable class sizes in grades K-4 of 22:1 or less, except in rare and extenuating circumstances
- determine a flexible school start date
- allow unique alternatives to educator certification for distinctive courses or needs
- adjust instructional minutes and school-day length
- implement a local teacher and administrator appraisal system
View plan online.